Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Get Inspired! - Book Review

I like reading books! I like reading books about all kinds of things, but especially I like reading about creating! So it is safe to say I have read lots of books about music, songwriting, recording, mixing, mastering, singing, etc. I decided I would give a quick review of the books I have acquired for anyone out there who might be interested. Because let's be honest, not every book you pick up is worth the $15-$20 it might cost you.


This week's theme will simply be inspiration. Two years ago, when I decided to start playing music again, I was real short on confidence. These three books really made me feel like, "Hey, if they can do it, so can I!!!!"


The Indie Band Survival Guide - This is geared towards bands, and so has a lot of extra legal and management stuff added, as bands tend to fight over the paycheck, I guess. But even if you are a lonely singer-songwriter like moi, you can still find lots of helpful information. I will say, the scope of this book is wide, and they seem to want to cover everything under the musical sun, so be prepared to be a bit overwhelmed. Oh, and I don't recommend looking at this band's website until after you've finished the book. I won't say why, but just trust me.

The Girl's Guide to Rocking - I'm pretty sure that I'm roughly 15 years older than this book's target audience, but let's be honest, when you want to start a creative journey, you're gonna feel like a pimply, awkward thirteen year old, no matter what. Boys can read this, too. Just tell the cashier it's for your niece. This book is great for absolute beginners. It has loads of information on the different instruments, guitar pedals, how to find band mates, recording, practicing, and playing live. To be honest, the most inspiring thing about this book, are the famous-rock-lady quotes, which are sprinkled throughout. Plus, the book is written by musician and journalist, Jessica Hopper.

I Don't Need a Record Deal! - This is another extensive book, that gives lots of information, but doesn't quite overwhelm you like the Indie Band Survival Guide. I have to say, I kinda glossed over the musician profiles in this one, maybe because they were mostly acts I had never heard of before. Nevertheless, this book gave me the final push to take my dream seriously, and to realize that I don't need a record deal. I don't need a studio. I don't even need a band or an engineer. The only thing I need is me and some good songs and trust in myself. Yes, all the self-empowerment really did come after reading this book. If I remember correctly, it is a bit outdated, in that it's a bit behind current technology. But that just makes the reader realize, if it was this easy before, it's like laughable now!



So, if you want to create music, but you don't know where to start, then check out one of these books. You might find some inspiration, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment