Monday, November 15, 2010

My "Studio"

Whenever I tell people I'm in my studio (which is never) I actually mean my apartment. Because my "studio" isn't much more than my laptop. I won't pretend like I'm an expert at this recording stuff, but I do what I can, because I love making music.

So if there are any curious people out there, who would also like to start recording their own songs, here is a list of what is basically necessary. The disclaimer being that, I am only one person. I only have to record acoustic guitar and vocals. So clearly, this set-up probably won't work for bands, (or even duos.)

1. My laptop. - I have a Macbook circa 2007, but have since updated it (i.e. made my friend update) to OS 5.

2. Audio Interface - Any audio interface will do, but I have a Presonus Firestudio Mobile, because it is small, reliable, and Presonus has a good reputation. (The audio interface is what gets the sound from your microphones into your computer. And conversely, what sends that sound back out of your computer to your fancy monitors.)

3. Monitors (AKA speakers) - I have powered KRK Rokit 5's. I'm not sure I love them, but beggars can't be choosers.

4. Headphones - I have Sony MDR-V600, but I have since blown them out, and need to replace them. Also the plastic on the headphones will wear off after about two years. But I will say, they are super comfortable! Great for late night mixing.

5. Microphones - Well, the subject of microphones is so dense, and actually, I don't have a lot of experience or know-how. I recorded the Your Car Ep and Hesitation using only 2 CAD CM217. These are really cheap, and are meant to record overheads on drum kits. I did my best to make them work with my guitar and vocal. For the next album, I am probably just going to stick with my Shure SM58, and my MXL 990 Large condenser. Again, it's a cheap microphone, but I will have to make it work!

6. Cables - You need at least 2 XLR cables for your microphones. You also need at least 2 balanced TRS cables to connect your monitors to your audio interface. (MAke sure they are balanced. These are not just standard instrument cables.)

7. Microphone stands - Seems obvious, but this is a very important part of your studio! Don't get the cheapest ones! You don't want to have to readjust mid-recording. Spend 100 bucks and get 2 stands that will tough it out through the years.

8. Recording Software - Again, this is a much debated topic. I don't even know everything that is available out there. I have no idea what is popular right now. I use StudioOne because it came with my FireStudio Mobile. You could use garageband too, or the free software Audacity.

Hope that was helpful. If you are curious about this sort of thing, you should just go for it. It's an expensive hobby, sure. But so is skiing, or jet skiing, for that matter. There's really never been a better time to start your own studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment